Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Fog Lifts

Apparently my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders this past week, even with the bulk of my exams out of the way. L.H. finally had a spare minute to look over my recent posts, and he pointed out 3 egregious errors (like calling him D.D. and having the river flow the wrong direction). In the meanwhile, they've been fixed. Mea culpa.

We woke up this morning to falling snow, plus 4-5 inches piled up on our patio furniture. The planters out there still look like giant snow cones. D.D. went to her friend's house to slide down their "driveway". It's fenced all the way around, and no one actually parks on it because it's so steep, so it's perfect for a mini-sledding course when there's enough snow.

Although I am tempted to lie around doing nothing, I have been keeping at my to-do list and already have several items marked off. I gave myself the treat of a novel once classes were over (yesterday at 1), but I stayed up late and finished it, so now I'm back to the to-do list. Oh, well. That's satisfying, too, in a 7-dwarfs-in-the-mine kind of way.

***

There's a juice bar down the street from the English Department. A couple of months ago, they remodeled, and my brain just boggles every time I walk past now. The entire inside is red—red walls, red couches, red lamp. It makes me think it's a front for a bordello, but it's such a tiny shop that I can't imagine where they might have space for that kind of enterprise. Maybe they have some kind of deal with the sex shop a block over. (As far as I can tell from the window dressing, it sells lingerie and "marital aids", but I haven't had the guts to wander in, in case it's the other kind of sex shop.)

***

Speaking of mind-boggling, there's this guy on the bus who strongly resembles Ozzy Osbourne, but if O.O. had had a sex change operation, and then changed his mind and went back to his old clothes. It freaks me out, the aura of drug-induced dementia and surgically enhanced femininity. Shudder.

No comments: