Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Eyes Have It

The latest generation of Barbies freak out L.H. and me. Their eyes keep getting bigger and more oblong—sideways. We think it looks even more trampy than usual. The regular Barbie that Mattel puts out as various fairy-tale princesses looks the same as before (only mildly trampy), but the My Scene dolls and the latest Fairy Something-or-Other dolls have the freaky eyes. Why doesn't Mattel just go straight to producing the Crack Whore Barbie? Sheesh.

The xmas toy advertising is well underway here. Don't get me wrong, there are always ads aimed at kids on TV, but now instead of trying to get D.D. to give up her allowance for gum and yo-yos, they're trying to get Mom and Dad to buy the giant Barbie mansion and cruise ship.

Every commercial it's "Mom, I want that." It drives us nuts. But one night D.D. actually commented unfavorably on a baby doll that transforms into a princess with the addition of *ta!da!* a princess costume. "She has creepy eyes." See! Even a 7-year-old will catch on to these things. On the other hand, as L.H. said, 1 toy down, 900 to go.

***

I can feel the winter bloat coming on. Even after my period, I am craving sour cream and onion Pringles and chocolate covered cherries. I may not normally eat enough fruits and veggies, but I also generally avoid sweets and junk food. Coffee is my one food vice, and they'll have to pull my favorite "Canada" mug from my cold, dead hands after I hit the floor.

It's been hard getting up in the cold, dark mornings; that's probably cluing in my body that it's time to step up the blubber production. It's hard enough finding pants when you're only 5 feet tall, but if I end up 5 feet wide as well, it'll be impossible. Also, I don't know my metric measurements. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Weather-bitching level: 1-ish
It's not raining, but it was pretty chilly today. Also, it seems to be too overcast to see the lunar eclipse. Damn the luck.

1 comment:

Nee S. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.