Monday, November 20, 2017

Bit of a surprise

I mentioned previously that I had applied for a job, but that particular job got lost in a departmental shuffle at the company. After that, the company implemented a hiring freeze, I heard from a friend, who also encouraged me to keep applying, which I have done 2 or 3 times since the spring. The last posting was the one I was most interested in, due to the type of work, but a couple of weeks after sending off my application, I did a bit of googling and found an article from a German business magazine warning that the company probably would not end their hiring freeze before the start of 2018. That allowed me to mentally shelve my application and prepare for another automated rejection once the job posting expired.

So imagine my surprise when my cell phone started ringing last Friday afternoon (no one calls it but occasionally Hannah, and she was at work). I have an interview next week!

via GIPHY


I shouldn't brag -- except as my friend at the company says, I should think more like a man! And men don't say that, haha! -- but I know I can make a good impression in person to back up my application materials, so I have a very good feeling about this.

The timing is also good for me. Even if they decided on the spot to hire me, it is unlikely the paperwork could go through before xmas. My sister needs to have surgery, and I want to be there to help out, but she doesn't have a date set yet. She may have a date after her next doctor's appointment, though, and that is 2 days after my interview; I have my fingers crossed that she can get a date in December, and then I shouldn't have any problems going for a couple of weeks.

Obviously I am all discombobulated and such, which is why I am typing this instead of translating. I still have ca. 12k words to go to finish this book, which I would like to get done quickly, but my brain is not helping with smart-making!

Nee in Germany spends a lot of time discombobulated

No comments: