Saturday, January 08, 2011

In the New Year

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
- Carl Bard


This quote kind of sums up my philosophy for 2011. I'm not usually one for making New Year's resolutions; this just kind of came up during my time off over the holidays. You have more time for thinking once things begin to settle down after xmas.

I have made up my mind that there's no use having regrets about things I can't (and probably wouldn't) go back and change, so why let them take up so much of my mental real estate? I can't go back and practice more so I don't choke during the school musical or state music contest; my master's thesis is never going to be any better; I can't go back and not put off the small thoughtful gestures I thought I would have time to get around to doing.

So now I am trying not to put things off, even if it is just something small, like sending a donation to the proprietor of an email newsletter I have been receiving for years or filing papers in their proper place instead of stacking them on top of the file box. The big things are made up of the small things, and maybe by accomplishing enough of the small things, they will add up to something big.

--Nee in Germany resolves not to be such an ass, but she makes that resolution every year

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Deanna, You could NEVER be an ass! You know (or at least I hope you do) how I feel about you....And if a Mother-in-law (a challenging relationship if there ever was one) thinks you are the Cat's Meow, well, shouldn't everyone?
I think we are more than ready for Spring....new growth, flowers, birds in nests...
I got a great new book, for me anyway..."365 Thank Yous" by a judge, John Kralik. Short, simple, sweet, and just what i needed. Love you sweetie, Mom