Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pinkie

The weather held out yesterday, and Hannah got cut loose from school early, so we went to the pool. I am not a pool person, but I had promised John I would take her if the weather was good, so I found myself waist-deep in cold water--well-water cold--at 4 yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I only remembered to put sunscreen on my body (50 SPF, baby!), so I had to get out quickly (I wasn't complaining!) and slather up my face. Hannah said I looked like Jasper the Ghost. When I explained it was Casper, she complained that she couldn't be expected to know American culture when we dragged her over here, etc. etc. But then I pointed out that various Casper movies had been on German tv, and that to my certain knowledge she had watched them, and that the name had not been changed. Well, ::bluster::. Sometimes my child is a bit of a blowhard. I hope I am not modeling that kind of behavior, but maybe.

Anyhow, ten minutes of sunscreen-free pool-standing, and now my face is a bit pink. Not even really uncomfortable, but when you are as pale as me, ten minutes is all it takes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, but do YOU know about Käptain Blaubär? Pumuckl? Das kleine Arschloch? Eh... what else is German - Paulchen Panter? Wickie der Wiking? Jim Knopf?

(and now move to Holland please and you'll have to learn a whole new universe of children's books characters!

erik
flickr.com/eti-eti

Nee S. said...

Actually, I do know most of those. What she watches on tv, I watch, basically. And you forgot Benjamin Blümchen and die Maus. ;-)

I think between the Swedish, German, and American children's books floating around here, I am full up on characters!