Saturday, November 27, 2004

(Evil?) Twins and Happy Holidays

When we lived in Sweden, I often ran into doppelgangers of random people from back home. To me, that suggested Scandinavian heritage.

Now it's started in Germany. On several occasions, I've seen my dead grandmother. Even L.H. has spotted her and remarked on the resemblance. It's not surprising since my GM was 2nd or 3rd generation German-American.

Just yesterday I saw my MIL's young adult self. It turns out she's in 2 of my classes. She looks just like photos of my MIL in her early 20s. I would chalk up the resemblance to MIL's German heritage, except this girl is in German as a Foreign Language classes, so she can't be German. Weird!

***

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

***

According to my recent blood-work, I'm severely anemic. Signs of anemia include: "fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin colour, irritability, weakness, sore tongue, brittle nails, frontal headaches, low blood pressure, and decreased appetite". So when I get caught up on my iron, I'll be a whole new person!

I am a bit worried about losing my edge if the symptom "irritability" clears up, but don't expect me to be Little Susie Sunshine, in any case. I think bitchiness is more of a habit--a state of mind, if you will--for me, and it will take more than 6 iron pills a day to change that.

2 comments:

Yoda said...

Hey, De! Shannon here. I just thought I would point out that you and your mil both share a German heritage, but are not German. Therefore, it stands to reason that the girl in your class could indeed have a German heritage despite being a foreigner to Germany. :D

Nee S. said...

Should have known that my biologist best friend would correct me. That's what friends are for, no? She's right, though. This girl could be descended from Germans that emigrated. Or, they could have a different nationality in common (Swedish or Dutch). Or, it could be a total coincidence. But it did make me do a double-take when I saw the doppelganger.